Thursday, October 25, 2007

Identity

As I've said in previous posts, for the purpose of change, I have given myself identities, to ensure adequate motivation to carry out the changes in the areas need. These include my identities of honesty/openness, self-awareness, among others. But although self-enforced identities do promote change, gaining satisfaction from them is an entirely different matter, at least for me. The reason for this, is because I can change myself, it proves that defining myself would be a very superficial measurement, since theoretically I can bestow any personality traits I want on myself...But it's clear this is all in the head. Since we ultimately have very little power on who we become, that probably shouldn't matter, but it does. My logic and ego do no agree on this matter, and as such, the conflict of interest reveals a need for some other proof- otherwise my ego will prevent me from experiencing true satisfaction. As such, most, if not all people come to accept identities given by others. There is where we can find true satisfaction, or at the least it is one of the mandatory variables. These identities can range from an affectionate nickname to a Nobel Prize.

This, although most definitely not the only reason, is why it's important to consider how people think about me. Generally, I tend to take an attitude that I don't care what people think about me (although ironically I have been shown time and time again that this just might be self-denial- see Patronized and Self-Awareness posts.) But perhaps I should compromise a little. From my perspective, the "identity" as defined above is nothing but a mere illusion (see the illusion of life post), but as humans (let's face it) we need illusions to survive. That's the kind of fragile beings we are. I kind of makes sense though, because with complexity comes risk- the more complex an object is the more likely it is to break- Windows XP is much more likely to break than dos, and your computer is more likely to break than a rock. This is the way of life.

So in the future I suppose that I'll try to consider what people think about me more (I've got the attitude down, but the habits will take a bit of work.) But as far as online goes- for the sake of being open I will continue unabashed- as this is the unsaid promise I made with myself.

No comments: