Friday, October 19, 2007

my gods; other thoughts

the following is a list of organizations I obsess about so much calling them my gods would not be inaccurate:

(in order by level of worship, most to least)

1. Japan
2. Google
3. Linux
4. Wikipedia
5. Craigslist

ok- can't say I worship any organizations to a level remotely comparable to those above, so I guess I'll end there.

Now for other thoughts:

I often think about after death *see post "after death...?" , and every time I think about it my mind is boggled. I don't believe in heaven and hell, primarily to fundamental consistencies (you won't change my mind)- so that leaves non-existence. even if I am reincarnated, I will have no memory of my past life, so the me of now will eternally cease to exist. Well obviously not existing doesn't involve pain or negative emotions, but the whole idea feels so wrong...I suppose we developed in such a way that our logic contradicts the idea of non-existence, leading to a metaphorical cyclic redundancy, empty set, or repeating decimal. Or, perhaps it's just me- I never asked anyone about this particular thing, although I have acknowledged my own thoughts about this. I think it's amazing that non-existence makes perfect sense, but I cannot come to logically accept it. I'm curious as to whether this irony might be a hint pointing to the true meaning of life.

One of the only genres of movies that I have never been able to truly enjoy are comedies. I'm pretty sure I get all the humor- I don't don't find it funny. So I usually stick to romantic comedies. But I can't even truly them- because most of them involve problems that could easily be fixed on the spot with honesty and openness. If you don't like something tell them, if you think that something might cause problems for the relationship, just tell them. If you really love them, telling them everything shouldn't be a problem, and if they really love you, the truth shouldn't matter not matter what it is. That's pretty much a no-lose situation, but they always choose to cause trouble for themselves and others. Movies are supposed to be based on real life- so thinking about it can be really depressing- God I hope they aren't that many foolish people in this world. Perhaps I am being a bit close-minded, but I can't help but think how utterly moronic it is for people to not have honesty and openness in a relationship. Seriously, when there's nothing to lose, why is it people prefer to dig themself a grave instead? I just don't get it- someone, please help me to understand this seemingly foolish lifestyle that so many people appear to have.

No comments: