Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fragility

Human beings are fragile by nature, in that we must always be dependent on something. In my Maturity post, I announced my aspiration to become independent, but that was only to a reasonable extent- it's impossible for humans to ever become completely independent. This is especially noticeable when depression occurs, because the simplest things can relieve it, if only for moments. We can feel better after taking a shower, after eating, or meeting our other needs. Why should we need such things to feel better? After thinking about it- someone might ask me, why not?- Well I guess perhaps I'm having too high of expectations, but this one thing is the only thing I can think of that I do not like about humans. Everything else is beautiful- but the beauty in this quality is stolen away by the sheer pathetic nature of it. Perhaps this is the evidence of God- reminding us that without him we are nothing. Not that I believe in God- this is just for the sake of argument. I have thought that perhaps this might be a good thing- when I consider that having need for so many things promotes structure- allowing for smooth adaptations. But there is too many flaws in that, when I consider the many side affects of the myriad of needs that actually stifle these things. I could also be that many of these things are only needed because we were brought up to need them- in which case only society is to blame. But I'm not willing to put that to the test.

No comments: