Thursday, September 6, 2007

the perfect guide

in many story lines, though naturally I'm specifically referring to those in animes, the is a character, and usually only one or so; this character is usually mysterious, and furthermore guides the other character(s) as the story goes on. This mysterious character usually is well aware of the happenings that concern this character, and thus can exercise control over the circumstance, or even bestow this knowledge upon the character(s). But instead, they choose a passive approach, occupying themselves with watching over this character, influencing the circumstances only when necessary, and occasionally giving subtle hints.

To free you from this vagueness, I'll be more specific: Mizuki Kaho from Cardcaptor Sakura. there are other examples, but since I am watching this one right now, it's most clear in my mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaho_Mizuki

(note- the english dub would be Kaho Mizuki, but I don't watch that, and I want to say it correctly, the "japanese way" (since the story is based in Japan, I wonder how they get away with it?)

by the time I become I parent, I want to be able to master this method of guidance. The reason for this, is that we cannot control our own fates- those were ultimately determined by our parents, in one way or another. (I have a lost of reasons for this belief, I think some of them are covered in the post "the importance of fate"

therefore, the only true way to leave my mark is to determine the fate my children, and not take that power lightly. by giving my children a beautiful future, I will have immortalized myself. Although it might now seem this way from the surface, either directly or indirectly, how I raise them will leave a lasting impression that will never fade away. In fact, taking math into account the impression will probably increase as time goes on. The reason for this, is that the power of an idea increases as more believe in it, and as such my ideals will shine every brighter as time goes on. All I need to do is ensure that my ideals become deeply embedded in my children.

Now, if I were to just tell them what I believe, I can't expect them to agree. Nor can I tell them "do this" or "don't do that" and expect them to obey, or even if they obey to do it out of thinking that it's the best way. In fact, it's common knowledge that in many cases the more expectations you have for your children, the more likely they are to rebel.

this is where Mizuki Kaho's approach comes in guide them along, giving hints and subtly influencing the environment. In this way, your children become just as you want them to be, but all the time thinking they became that way of their own accord. This is the true mastery of a guide, one I aspire to. If God exists, I think this might also be the method in which he guides us, and furthermore, Mizuki Kaho kind of remind me of God in this respect.

To be able to mold a person into something beautiful is difficult- It's like trying to mold clay without using your hands. But if you use your hands, the "clay" with resist, and the work may (and probably will be) less than satisfactory. As such, it would be better to use the harder method, so it will be my goal to master it.

No comments: