Tuesday, September 4, 2007

chaos: my outlook

I was writing an email to someone, and I decided the information I wrote was worth blogging, so I copied and pasted it here.

there is a huge difference between spontaneity and chaos. spontaneity pretty much means "living in the moment" chaos means "unpredictable" or according to google "
a state of extreme confusion and disorder"

I am actually an extremely spontaneous person, if you knew me you would know that. It's a trait that be a big disadvantage at times. But I also have something of fear of the unknown. I don't know the extent to which it exist, or when it started, but I believe that the reason I am hard pressed to be wrong about things that I know about, and constantly research what I do not know, is at least partially driven by this fear. this is also why some horror movies that people considered scary I did not, but ones that weren't considered as scary, such as "the ring" thrill me the most. note no movies will probably scare me now, due to changes in perspective, but previously anything known as a "psychological thriller" would probably (for lack of a better way of saying it) give me goosebumps. the reason for this is that movies of this type almost always feature "the unknown" and/or chaos.

"Life isn't perfect; it's bound in chaos."

I disagree, just because something isn't perfect doesn't mean it has to be chaotic; there is a lot of structure in the world, I'd say most of the world isn't chaos.

the only living species actually capable of chaos is humans beings (in my opinion). my reasoning for this, is that the defining difference between humans and other living things is that humans can think abstractly. creativity is a byproduct of the abstract part of our minds. now if you look at the definition of chaos, "extreme disorder" is included. creativity in and of itself has no order to it- order is predefined, creativity involved redefining. thus creativity involves a state of extreme disorder, and thus chaos.

by this perspective, the more creative something is, the more controversial it will be.

Our abstract nature gives us the insatiable drive to adapt and change, and for a long time creativity, and thus chaos, was the only method by which to accomplish this. as a result, these elements have become an integral part of our culture- or should I say, the reason for very existence of culture.

however. there are some other methods of adaption, that while do involve creativity to an extent, manage to refine it and remove the chaos just as molasses is removed from raw sugar. this method is technology. With technology, we can adapt infinitely to higher technology without awaking chaos in doing so. This may change once the technology conflicts with modern ethics (to an extent it already has), but as of now, the resulting chaos is minimal.

This is probably also a lot of the reason I'm so attracted to technology, because I hate chaos and technology allows me to adapt without it.

No comments: