Saturday, August 4, 2007

change in my perception

First I am surprised as I realize that without me knowing it, my perception of reality has changed. Now this is something everyone goes through, but most people don't realize it. Only this time, in addition, I think this perception is too radical to be considered part of growing up.
Everyone's perception of reality changes as they grow older- that's why when you're older, everything seems so much smaller, and why despite that you have to take so many things into account that otherwise would be trivial matters that you most likely never took note of when you were young.
However, this is different. When I look at things that normally my perception would be different (I'm still not entirely sure what it was before, since it is psychologically involved, and emotions are well known to be temporary, unreliable illusions in most cases.
But in either case, as of now, when I look at the world that is reality, it almost looks fake - everything looks exactly the same as before, but now I see the details, the motion, hear the variances in sound- and it is clear that it is not real. Many of the things that I am referring to are not real- such as TV, but I think that might be the case for other things as well. I think for the most part this is a good thing- reality is made up of electrical signals interpreted by our brain, so it is kind of fake, since what we perceive is reality is different from what others perceive as reality.
so how do people socialize if their perceptions are all at least slightly different, and in many cases radically. I could not possibly understand the perception of many people, since it is not my own. all I can do, or anyone can for that matter, is accept that its existence is inevitable, and try their best to compensate for it.
I believe most people solve the majority of these problems by not thinking much about their perception, focusing instead on what is in front of and around them. I suppose this is called "facing reality" (ironic, isn't it? lol!)
they may also do it by preoccupying themselves with the perspective of others, at the expense of their own perspective, becoming something of an empty shell in that respect. I suppose this explains the reasoning behind "people pleasers"
then there are those who either force their perspective on others, or tactfully influence others with their perspective, effectively rendering their perspective prominent. These would be called "leaders"
but I think I feel saddest for most people, who don't even consider the importance of perspective, and just go through life doing "what they're supposed to do" and making the best of it.

No comments: